The Big "Valentine" is Almost Here, Feed Em Soup!
Saint Valentine of Rome was sent to jail for officiating weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians. According to legend, while in jail, Saint Valentine healed the daughter of his jailer, Asterius and before his execution, he wrote her a letter signed "Your Valentine" as a farewell.
Nowadays, the phrase "Your Valentine" is widely associated with what we know as a very successful "Hallmark holiday". In 2017, according to the Retail Federation, the total spending for Valentine's Day card's, candies and flowers topped $18.2 Billion or $136.57 per person.
Guys, Let's be more like Saint Valentine. Here's five (5) ideas to make this 2018 Valentine's Day extra special...
5. Mix it up - Send her flowers now, not when all the other dudes do it. Your significant others expect spontaneity, originality and purpose. A correctly timed, or purposefully off-timed delivery will show her that she's important and most importantly, that you're thoughtful enough to put a little effort in.
4. Break Out The Words - We seldom express our real feelings. Between the "I Love You's" and the "Yes Dear's" there's a whole world of emotions that pop into our heads and vanish as quickly as they came. We guys and that's just in our DNA. Buck the system and write a few of them down, Record them on your iPhone, or just blurt them out (at an appropriate time of course).
3. Jewelry's Always Good... But.... - No one's ever going to tell you that jewelry is bad, but is Valentine's Day really the time to break out the charge card? I'd argue that a properly purchase trinket with meaning is way more powerful than dropping the big bucks on a country's singer's mass-produced heart shaped pendant. Trust me, I've made that blunder myself.
2. Make Em Soup! - Ok, your culinary skills may be lacking, but that doesn't mean that you can't "feed to impress". Break out the apron and pick a night, surprise her with a simple meal, a single flower, and, for Saint Valentine's sake, NO DISHES. You have to eat, why not make it count.
1. Rinse & Repeat! - Finally, don't wait until some marketing drone tells you that you love her, Just Love Her! Do ALL of these things often and repeat as many times as you can. Yes, your man card may take a hits, but who actually looks at those things anyway.